21 October 2004

Alcoholism, Revisited

Tuesday and Wednesday I went with my husband to the coast. I was able to escape my sadness for a couple of days. It was so wonderful to be near the ocean again; it's one of the only things I miss about leaving the town where i grew up.

My husband talked with my stepson last night and found out he's having marital difficulties. I'd been concerned for several years about the amount of alcohol my stepson (I'll call him norman) consumes. However, I recognize that i have a thing about alcohol, because it was always one of the things that provoked my father to violence when I was a child.

As it turns out, I had good reason to be concerned, though. Norman told my husband that he's had a couple of bed-wetting incidents when he was drunk. This past weekend, he was supposed to be playing somewhere, but when he got onstage, he was so loaded that he threw up on himself and then passed out. It wasn't the first time this has happened, either. This weekend, his wife went on stage to check his pulse and couldn't find one so she called 911. When the emt's arrived, they told her he was just wasted. His wife has been unhappy with him over this issue for some time and I guess this weekend pushed her over the edge. She's going to go somewhere this weekend (Saturday is their wedding anniversary) and mull this over. I find all of this very alarming. It really indicates that there is a serious alcohol problem here.

Norman told my husband he's thinking of "getting some help." Unfortunately, thinking about it isn't going to solve anything. His wife told him that she's tired of hearing him say he's going to address the problem and then not doing anything about it. My husband is optimistic that this may help Norman get it together and stop drinking. I hope so, too. He's a musician and plays in bars, so I anticipate some problems right off the bat. Furthermore, it generally takes a few tries to really get to the point that someone is able to do the difficult, ongoing work of learning to live without the addiction. As a former smoker, I know how hard battling an addiction can be. I'm so sorry that I was right about his problems with alcohol. It's one of those times when you really wish you could be overreacting.

Monday is the anniversary of my dad's suicide. since I've been trying to get my history down on paper, I vaccilate between guilt over not having been there to stop him and anger over the many, many ways he fucked up my life. Suicide was just the final fuck over. As I write this, I can feel the anger rising up inside of me. Emotions can be so inconvenient. I'm at work; I can't have a meltdown right now. I have to calm down now, maybe I'll have more to say later.

No comments: