13 October 2006

The Orangutang and the Horse of a Different Color

"One is not born a woman, one becomes one." ~ Simone de Beauvoir

Hubby had the dishes done at lunch and dinner. His, not mine, that is. As I noted before, I always do my dishes immediately after use. He cleaned out the refrigerator. He offered to pick up a prescription for me. Yay for him! Now if only he would get a job.

Have I mentioned I took a test on the BBC science page which purports to help you determine where your thought processes fall along a gender continuum? You know, women are traditionally better than men at some things and vice versa. I ended up exactly in the middle. An androgynous thinker...must have something to do with all those boy toys my dad gave me when I was a little girl. My friends got dolls and I got helicopters. Hey, with my dad you just played with whatever you got and didn't complain. That's probably why it's always been so abundantly clear to me that gender lies along a continuum. Maybe I should be grateful to my dad for that.

In fact, I've had a couple of therapists ask me if I had any gender confusion. No. I've never wished to be anything other that what I am. I've never wondered if I should have been a boy.

I'm just hard to categorize for many reasons, my bizarre upbringing notwithstanding. I think that's one of the reasons people have difficulty understanding me. I'm not like everyone else. None of us are, really. We're each unique dazzling manifestations of God's infinite creativity. If only we could all always see each other that way...what a gift that would be.

When I've taken the Myers-Briggs Personality Tests, I always end up being sort of evenly split between thinking/feeling and perceiving/judging, although I clearly have a preference for judging . There's no question that I'm an introvert...I scored very high on that scale, but I'm able to act like an extravert. Many people who don't know me that well actually think I am an extravert. I'm also highly intuitive.

I'm different, alright. I'm not always willing to admit that; I long to be uncomplicated. It just seems like life would be a lot easier sometimes, though certainly not as interesting.

The work project calls. It's been a challenging week for work. I guess I'll go be challenged some more.

Just in case you'd like to take these tests, here are the links:

The BBC Sex ID test: http://www.bbc.co.uk/science/humanbody/sex/index_cookie.shtml

Myers-Briggs Personality Test: http://www.humanmetrics.com/cgi-win/JTypes1.htm


http://www.planetcancer.org/html/index.php

A site specifically for young people with cancer of all types.

No comments: