02 April 2007

Lost

"Stand still. The trees ahead and the bush behind you are not lost." ~ Albert Einstein

It's not a good Monday morning, but it's not a bad one, either. I had an early morning appointment with my psychiatrist. I've lived in this town for 30 years now, but somehow I missed my first turn and spent the next 20 minutes searching for the way and trying to figure out how, in my phone call later, I was going to explain to her how I got hopelessly lost. She would have charged me $125, anyway. That amount wouldn't be covered by my insurance, of course.

I guess we could chalk it up to anxiety. (I'm chalking everything up to anxiety, these days.) Since I never experience myself as being anxious, I think it's well within the realm of possibility that's he reason.

By some fluke, I actually managed to find the stupid road. Let me just note here that I'm supposed to be (as assessed by various tests) spatially gifted. I have no idea what that means, since I just got lost in a city where I've lived for 30 years.

So psychiatrist and I think I'm better than the last time I saw her. We're actually phasing out a medication. You can not imagine how happy that makes me. This way, when I hear on television that Anna Nicole Smith was taking 9 drugs (which accounts for her death, according to the uninformed), I don't have to feel extra bad about taking more. Just so you know, 4 of the drugs are for allergies (I'm allergic to everything except dog & cat hair), 1 is to prevent a recurrence of breast cancer and one is a required antioxidant vitamin so I won't go blind.

On the other hand, when I got to work this morning, I immediately had to make a visit to the owner's office. His father-in-law died last week in the middle of a field and Owner of Company found him. There's nothing to say, of course. I just needed to let him know I care. He knew. He commented that everyone here benefits from my nurturing nature. What a lovely thing to say.

As for the father-in-law, I have some absolutely great stories to tell about him. He and his wife bring new meaning to the word, "eccentric." I'm very fond of people who choose to follow their own paths. It will be a kind of tribute and a good laugh that I hope, somewhere, he'll be sharing with me.

No comments: