21 August 2007

Manifestation of Grace

"The weak can never forgive. Forgiveness is the attribute of the strong." ~ Mahatma Gandhi

I just hugged someone who betrayed me several years ago. I thanked her for stopping by. I'm not sure whether that means I've moved farther down the road to forgiveness or that I'm not brave enough to continue on with my cold indifference. I could say having cancer makes a difference in one's ability to see past human frailty, but I'm not sure that's true.

Every day, I pray for and work towards forgiveness and the abandonment of rage and hatred. In this particular case, hugging was a manifestation of grace in my life. There's still a small part of me keeping track of the things she did. Maybe someday I'll stop remembering. I'm not quite that strong yet.

Surgery countdown: 7 days

2 comments:

Jill said...

I just heard a great quote and thought I'd share it with you.

Resentment is drinking a cup of poison and hoping the other person dies.

I don't know the author. But I thought it was poignant and it really gave me an Aha! moment in thinking about all of the anger and resentment that I have held inside.

I'm thinking about you. I hope you are well.

vicki said...

I.ve been thinking of you and wish you well for tomorrow.

http://scratchesscribbles.blogspot.com/

New blog.

Vick