16 September 2008

Snitch in a Snit

So what, you ask, is going on in Crazy Land? Everything is still in an uproar. Owner isn't speaking to Bags. This is a permanent situation. I have to say, it's really peculiar when the Owner and the Comptroller aren't speaking. If we had a process, things would be slowed down considerably. Luckily, we have no processes.

I had my own frustrating series of conversations with Bags. Last week, our guy in the out of state office called me and asked me to do some research on the costs of doing business in New York. He's been hounded by some project managers to submit a bid and, of course, in order to do that, we need to know the upfront costs. Out Of State wanted to know if Bags had asked me to do research. Um, no.

I told him I'd get right on it and, by the end of the day, I had some pretty good information on which to make some decisions. This being really Bags' bailiwick, I sallied forth to tell him I'd gathered the information. Would he like a copy?

"Out of State thinks this is magic," he replied.

Hmmm...what exactly am I to make of that response? I had no idea what to say and decided to give it another try in a day or two. When I did, the answer was the same. Now normally, I'd take my little papers and throw them in the trash. This time was different. We need to expand the business and this was a personal invitation to grow.

I did the thing I try most to avoid. I had a conversation with Owner about my quandary. Bags clearly doesn't want to go down this path and I clearly think we should. I recounted my encounters with the Comptroller and posed the same question to him as I have to you. What am I supposed to make of that?

"The answer is that Bags has a serious attitude that's going to get his ass fired if it doesn't change soon." He glowered. "Give the information to me."

I told him I'd highlight the critical information and get it to him. The little voice inside my head is screaming, "snitch! snitch!" If that's what I am, then so be it, I guess. Would I like for people to continue to be employed (especially me)? Oh yeah.

I can't wait for this particular poop to hit the fan. I'm going to be the most unpopular kid on the block with a whole group of my co-workers. Of course, I'll be a hero to most of the others. Either way, life's a bitch and this is the least of my problems.

Signing off now. Your friend, the snitch.

No comments: