25 May 2005

Toilets, Marriage and Lunacy

The right to marry whoever one wishes is an elementary human right compared to which "the right to attend an integrated school, the right to sit where one pleases on a bus, the right to go into any hotel or recreation area or place of amusement, regardless of one's skin or color or race" are minor indeed. Even political rights, like the right to vote, and nearly all other rights enumerated in the Constitution, are secondary to the inalienable human rights to "life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness" proclaimed in the Declaration of Independence; and to this category the right to home and marriage unquestionably belongs. [Dissent, Winter 1959] ~ Hannah Arendt


The plumber has been working on the restroom next door to me. God only knows what he's doing in there, but it sounds like he's ripping everything out and starting over. Now he's talking to Crazy Employee, the admin person, who called him to come out. Like she wants the technical details of why the toilet keeps overflowing. Let's see now, at $85.00 an hour, I'm guessing it's going to require a lot of explaining. I ran into him one other day when he was working on the same toilet. In the past year they've installed about 20 of those flapper thingies. Here's a thought: Buy more expensive flappies.

I have one co-worker, Mr. Moneybags (the Comptroller), who has now hired both of his children. I'm just waiting for the wife to show up because I know she's having some kind of crisis at her job. I don't mind, of course. I'm just waiting for the inevitable nuclear meltdown. That ought to be entertaining. I ended up having a conversation with this colleague this morning. I'm usually successful in avoiding getting trapped with Mr. M., but this morning we were talking about the NBA game last night when he segued into gay marriage. Why. Is this what keeps him awake at night? Several years ago, he told me that he was taking a "personal stand" against homosexuality. He said it like he was so proud of himself for embracing such an unpopular stance. Yeah, like no one else in this country has an irrational hatred for gay people. I'm still dying to know what taking a personal stand looks like. How does he manifest that decision? By whining to me about it?

Anyway, he's all worked up about the gay marriage issue. He thinks the courts are forcing legislators to enact laws requiring gay marriage. I just skipped over that entirely and pointed out to him that prohibiting marriage between members of the same sex is, in fact, discrimination. Appealing to logic, I pointed out to him that, if you just substitute the word "gay" with the words "black person" or "Hispanic person," everything would be abundantly clear to him. He suggested to me that it would be fine with him if they had a civil union, but marriage is only for men and women. Give me a fucking break.

What the hell is the difference between a civil union and marriage? Gay people aren't going to destroy the institution of marriage as we know it. Straight, married people are. I doubt that I need to point out the incredibly high incidence of divorce. I'm not current on the numbers of married people having affairs, but I'm sure it's still a fairly popular sport. In my opinion, it's none of the state's business whom I choose to bond with. I chose not to marry for 18 years, even though I was living monogamously with one man (now my husband) the entire time. I married him because of economic incentives. I still hold the opinion that the government should just butt the fuck out of my private life.

But I digress. I had to just move the conversation in a different direction before my head exploded and Mr. M. found himself covered in brain matter. Then he started talking about the compromise worked out by moderates of both parties, which prevented the fillibuster option from being taken off the table permanently. It just makes me far too weary to even recount that episode of "Talking with a Lunatic." Suffice it to say, I made an exit as soon as I possibly could. I've been holed up in my office for hours now. I'll be coming out at 5:00.

Have I mentioned lately how much I love my job?

America held hostage day 1329
Bushism of the day:
# "One year ago today, the time for excuse-making has come to an end."
Source: Federal News Service, "Remarks by President George W. Bush on Anniversary of No Child Left Behind Act," Jan. 8, 2003

Website of the day: L.A. Times Crossword
http://www.latimes.com/features/puzzles/crosswords/

No comments: