11 June 2007

Holding Functional Brain Hostage

Here's a good decision: This morning as I was putting breakfast and lunch items in my tote bag (extra large bagel and 8 prunes for breakfast, apple and yogurt for lunch), it occurred to me that maybe I'm not eating enough. I'm sure that's a correct assumption. (No! Stop throwing stuff at me, people! I admitted I'm wrong!) What's missing here? I know. I'll take some dry-roasted nuts with me in case I need a protein infusion. Do I really want to do that? Once you start eating them, it can be difficult to stop. I was sane enough and awake enough to remember I've compulsively eaten stuff at the office as a means of coping with stress.

I should just measure out an acceptable quantity and take that amount. The thought crossed my mind, but ultimately time was not on my side. I had about 8 minutes to get to work. I live close to my office, so 8 minutes is no big deal. However, there was no way in hell I was going to figure out how to measure the stupid nuts, find a suitable container and stash them in said tote bag in time to make my 7:00 a.m. curtain call. So I just left. I did not bring any extra food with me.

Right about now, as I near the end of the day, the body is feeling terribly misused and has taken the brain hostage. The brain can not work until some sort of acceptable fuel is provided. Crazy Employee next door has M&M's. As a matter of fact, I think virtually everyone here has a chocolate stash. I don't think the body will consider that an adequate ransom to give the functional brain back.

No comments: