20 June 2008

Living in the Crazy Land Demilitarized Zone

Christopher Knight. A guy who's made a surprisingly successful career out of having absolutely nothing to offer.

I, on the other hand, am living in Crazy Land. Where are you living? Wouldn't you like to have a fabulous career as You?

Crazy Land has turned into the Mekong Delta of the business world. My office is the official Demilitarized Zone. Is there a war? Sorry. I don't want to play.

The tension in the office is so high that the minute I walk in the door, it feels like a steamroller mowing me down. By the end of the day, I'm depressed and exhausted from it. I've been coming home and crying to release stress. And doing yoga. And doing weights. And cumbia!

Owner and Mr. Moneybags are at each other constantly. Doors are ominously closed, day after day. In the morning, the Information Superhighway fills me in on the latest skirmish.

Some of my favorite characters (though not necessarily people I particularly want to hang out with) are going--Foot Lady, our lovely and brilliant receptionist whom I truly love, and...Crazy Employee. I'm a little ambivalent about Crazy. Let's face it--her antics can be quite amusing. On the other hand, I have to office right next to her and she is crazy.

I'm too tired tonight to tell the long and complicated war story. I'm also attempting to tame my own issues so that I can think about it clearly. Thinking about the uselessness of Christopher Knight is about all I can muster right now.

No comments: