27 September 2004

Middle Ground

"The modern sympathy with invalids is morbid. Illness of any kind is hardly a thing to be encouraged in others."~ Oscar Wilde (1854-1900) Irish writer, & playwright

I was supposed to take the rest of the week off, but now I'm not sure if that's going to happen. Hubby came home last night from the recording session with a stomach upset. Here's the deal. My husband (like many men, I think) completely collapses anytime he isn't feeling well. He hangs around in bed, watching television and groaning periodically (no, I'm not kidding).

On the other hand, I am very stoic. I never thought of myself that way until my psychiatrist and my therapist pointed it out to me. I had a serious bout of IBS that raged on for three solid years. I got up and went to work virtually every day. I continued to function no matter how sick I was. I empathize with my husband, but I also just want him to get up off the sofa and stop moaning. I really have no desire to spend my vacation time listening to him moan, so I'm reluctant to take the week off, even though I really need a break.

You know, it seems to me that we (meaning both of us) should be able to find that middle ground between taking to bed for a couple of weeks when you feel bad and acting as if everything is absolutely fine even though you've been sick for three fucking years. Ah, the middle ground...astoundingly difficult to find and even harder to stay there.

I'm resuming my rigorous workout schedule this week, after my standard one-week hiatus. I'm always a little ambivalent about it. I'm really tired today, so I'm not all that enthusiastic. On the other hand, if i don't resume my workout I'll feel worse in the long run. I've been trying to figure out which video tapes to use for this six-week stint. Last cycle i focused on Pilates and bellydance. Unfortunately, bellydance, though great for abs and hips, doesn't really get my heart rate up to the required level. I have a new Pilates tape that's very fast-paced, so I may try that out this evening. As for strength training, I'm tempted to stick with the Pilates mat work exercises. My only hesitation is that one's body stops working when you do the same things over and over. I know this is just fascinating, but it's very important to me. By the way, have I mentioned lately that my butt is in fantastic condition? (Do note that i'm laughing at myself as I type this.)

I watched Holes this weekend with my mother. One thing you can count on with Disney is they're not going to put in any explicit sexual scenes that are going to embarrass me to watch it with my mom. I made the huge mistake of going to see Bad Santa with her this past Christmas. I knew it wasn't a children's movie, but I had no idea there would be blow jobs and other sexual activities. Holes started out slowly and it was difficult to sustain my interest, but it got better as the movie progressed. Enough trivia.

No comments: