10 April 2007

The month of not seeing any doctors is officially over. It was over a couple of weeks ago, actually, but it was just my psychiatrist I saw. She doesn't necessarily count; I liked the illusion of extending the doctor-less time a bit longer.

Next Tuesday, I'll have to be in Houston to see my plastic surgeon. I'm not sure why he wants to see me (other than that I'm his Greatest Flap Work), but after we get through this appointment I get to schedule another one six months from now. At the six month appointment, medical events will actually occur. I'm thinking liposuction, adjusting symmetry of new girl and old girl. Maybe some other things, but he's keeping it all a surprise. Sometimes that's best.

I have an appointment with my oncologist in May. We'll do blood work and make sure there aren't any indicators that might require chemo, radiation or surgery. I hate that. I mean, I'm all for knowing that I'm fine, but until we get there, I'm a little anxious and worried.

In June, I'll be in Houston once again to see my surgical oncologist. Remember? He's the one I'm in love with. I thought maybe his place in my heart would be taken by my plastic surgeon after the reconstruction surgery, but no, he's still my heart's desire.

My Dr. Ross is a busy, busy man. He's remarkably intelligent and a gifted surgeon. He literally works all the time. The Energizer Bunny has to hook up to him to keep going. He always recognizes me and remembers my name, even if we just pass each other in one of those endless hallways leading from one torture zone to another. He recognizes me even with all of my clothes on. His emotional needs are met by his work and, most days, he even eats there. I ask you, what more could you ask for from a man? He wouldn't even make my house untidy. I love him. I want to marry him. I'd want to have his babies, but that ship sailed a long time ago. And they're a little demanding for my tastes. Unlike Dr. Ross, who demands nothing.

When I asked myself last night why I've been anxious the past few days, it suddenly dawned on me. There's a whole lot of Houston coming up in my schedule.

No comments: